I am a consultant who primarily works on strategy and writing for academic grant proposals for submission to NSF, DOE, DHS, DARPA, ARO, and NIH/NIAID. I have a substantial amount of experience guiding and putting together large interdisciplinary (i.e., to fund research centers) proposals, and am good at managing complex, multi-author projects. I have also worked on many smaller proposals across a wide range of disciplines. In addition, I write reports, plain language policy briefs, and PR and media pieces for leadership.
My previous employers include the Georgia Institute of Technology, Argonne National Laboratory, the University of Chicago, and the Field Museum. I have also worked as a contractor based at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As a freelancer, I work with many academic and government institutions.
My education includes a Ph.D. in biological sciences and a B.S. in both biology and communications (emphasis in journalism).
- Project planning and management for proposals and multi-author documents
- RFP/FOA deconstruction (to understand agency requirements and preferences)
- Proposal pre-submission narrative content audit and review
- Large proposal and research institute or enterprise strategy
- Research publications strategy
- Editing (proofreading, copy editing, comprehensive editing, adapting style, and critiques)
- Teaching proposal writing and plain language writing (single module or retreat, to several classes, for students and established researchers)
- Grant proposals (narratives, text for supporting documents, and pre- and post-decision assessments)
- Discussion papers
- White papers
- Policy briefs
- PR and media materials for leadership
- Book and textbook chapters (not as many of these lately)
- Something else? Ask me…if it isn’t a service I provide, I might be able to recommend a resource or another writer.
Cost and Turnaround Time
Due to the varying types of projects and because my time is always worth the same to me, I bill by the hour using the same rate across all of my work. However, I can use this rate to give a project estimate if you need one. Contact me to begin the process and I can provide a free quote and confirm the delivery date.